Powell Butte Family Trail Packet
Did you know that Portland is one of the only cities in the continental US to have extinct volcanoes within its city limits? At 600 feet, Powell Butte is the largest among them! So it’s no surprise that Powell Butte Nature Park one of the best places for panoramic views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens.
The nature park is also one of the best park in the region for summer wildflowers and their pollinators, moths and butterflies. If that wasn’t reason enough to visit with your child, the park’s grassland habitat is also home to hundreds of species of animals including hawks, quails, snakes, coyotes, and deer.
Use the map in this packet to hike a 1.3 mile loop through woodlands and meadow to the park’s “Mountain Finder” lookout. With the stickers, your child can go on a fun scavenger hunt for butterflies, ladybugs, and other grassland creatures.
The hands-on Field Guide for this packet includes activities about the volcanic geology of the butte and neighboring peaks. Learn more about grassland habitats with activities that include a habitat drawing activity and butterfly identification page. Solve the maze in the Guide to help a mouse escape a hawk!
All materials are hand-illustrated. Perfect for kids ages 4-11. Packet is designed to be used all year round. For the best butterfly and wildflower viewing visit in the summer months, from May-August.
Park location: SE Portland, Oregon
For a wheelchair accessible option, take the paved out-and-back option to the lookout.
- 11x17" Trail Map (hand-illustrated, waterproof paper) for 1.3 mile nature loop to “Mountain Finder” lookout and back. Some elevation change. Trail is a combination of shade and sun.
- 1 sets of 24 stickers of butterflies, ladybugs, snakes, slugs, and the like
- 1 Super Nature Hero Sticker
- 1 16-page hands-on Field Guide (hand-illustrated), with activities about butte geology, volcanoes, and grassland habitats
- 1 Super Nature Hero “Code of the Trail" to help instill best hiking practices
Shipping is Free. Packet delivery is about 3-7 business days. Email us directly at email@example.com for rush orders, wholesale pricing, or other product questions.
Additional Trail & Park Details
PARK ADDRESS: 16160 SE Powell Blvd, Portland, OR
TRAIL DISTANCE: 1.3 mile loop
DOG POLICY: Yes, on Leash
PARKING & FEES: Free
RESTROOMS: At Visitors Center
SPECIAL NOTES: Part of the trail is paved, making it wheelchair acessible